Saturday, October 9, 2010

International Cephalopod Awareness Days 2010

LO AND WOE, for I have been negligent!  We are in the midst of a holiday, perhaps the most important of holidays.  No, not that Columbus' Day foolishness, but the INTERNATIONAL CEPHALOPOD AWARENESS DAYSThe CephalopodiatristTONMO, The Cephalopodcast and others are repping proudly and head-footly, I am doing my best to boost their signal. 


I'll be here.  Waiting.  
Photo by Mike Bartick.

So what are the International Cephalopod Awareness Days?  Directly citing the Cephalopodiatrist (brilliant name, btw), they are:

  • Thursday, October 8 - Octopus Day, for all the eight-armed species
  • Friday, October 9 - Nautilus Night, a time for all the lesser-known extant and extinct cephalopods
  • Saturday, October 10 - Squid Day/Cuttlefish Day, or Squidurday, covering the tentacular species
According this list, my specialties would then be today and tomorrow, owing to my infinite love of the cuttlefish and fascination for all things weird, obscure and cephalopodic.  I've even written a past entry on ammonites that I can submit as a humble offering for today.  Or I guess I could use the one on argonauts, surely they count as semi-obscure cephalopods?

Now I must decide the method in which I should celebrate these most grand of creatures.  I thinking possibly commemorative baked goods.  If I was crafty in a material direction, I would consider making a head-mounted squid.  This is completely unrelated but amazing.

Even Chun-Li has a squid hat.  

Perhaps I should write about the ghosts of Cephalopods Past, those Paleozoic wonders whose remaining impressions of hard bits we can only gawk at in simultaneous sadness that they are no longer with us/happiness that we are not their prey.

Perhaps I should do a tribute to the cephalopod in fiction.  Why does the image of dread Cthulhu stick with us so stubbornly, far more than any other of Lovecraft's creations?

DECISIONS AND PRODUCTS TO COME LATER.  IN THE MEANTIME, MEDITATE ON ALL CEPHALOPODS, GREAT AND SMALL.  ALSO, FEEL FREE TO THROW MONEY IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF OCEAN BLOGGERS UNITED FOR EDUCATION

No comments:

Post a Comment